We Need More Volunteers!
OBCGS has many volunteer opportunities in the library itself and work that can be done remotely (from home). You can work as much or as little as you want – an hour a month or 20 hours a week! All the work done here is conducted by volunteers – it is personally rewarding because you can choose a job according to your skills and interests and we always learn something along the way. Some of the work accomplished by volunteers will last many lifetimes in the form of publications and organized genealogical data made available electronically on our website.
Here are a few of the jobs available to volunteers at OBCGS:
- Library Docents – works front desk, answers phone, manages money, greets visitors, helps return books to shelf;
- Research Docents – works with visitors to answer questions, research families, use of computers, etc.;
- Project Leaders – works on organizing projects such as photograph collections, microfilm conversion, books, etc.;
- Scanners – works on genealogy records to get materials scanned and prepared for publishing;
- Indexers – works from home indexing genealogy records for ease of use on the website;
- Editors – edit written materials such as transcriptions, abstracts, book indexes, draft publications, etc.;
- File Organizers – clips newspaper articles and prepares for scanning, filing and publishing.
For Volunteer Information:
- Download the Volunteer Registration Form here, fill it out and mail it back to us and we will get in touch with you.
- Send a message through the “Contact Us” page and we will get in touch as soon as possible.