“A Lot of Bunkum” – SURNAME INDEX
The official journal published by the Old Buncombe County Genealogical Society is named “A Lot of Bunkum”, also known as ALOB. It is published quarterly in February, May, August and November each year. Contents include regular columns appearing in each issue as well as new articles about the people and history of Western North Carolina.
If you are a member, you can access our “Members Only” section to see the actual journals. Now we have combined all the indexes, in all their different formats, into a file here on this page available to the public. This same index file appears on the page of the “Members Only” section to make it easier to find your ancestors in the back issues of ALOB.
SEARCHABLE FILES –
This “.pdf” surname index file is fully searchable:
1. Open the file and click on your “Ctrl” button and the letter key for”f” at the same time.
2. The search window will open near the top of the page.
3. Type the surname you’re searching for in the window and hit search.
4. The search page will stop at each instance of your surname’s appearance in the index file and you should make a note of the volume number or issue date (that appears at the top of the page in red) and the page number (that appears beside the surname). There are two files here that cover two sets of years, so search in both files for a comprehensive list of references for the surname you’re interested in finding.
Once you find your surname references in the index, you have several options:
1. Bring your list of surname results to the OBCGS library to read through our back issues of the ALOB to find the references to the surnames you are researching.
2. Order the pages you want by using the form provided below.
3. Join the Society and have electronic access to all the past issues of the ALOB so you can read those issues directly from your computer.