|John McLean appears on the 1800 census of Buncombe Co with the following family unit: 1 male 26-45, 1 male 10-16, 3 males 0-10, 1 female 26-45, 1 female 10-16, 2 females 0-10, and 1 slave. John McClain was born 1760 in Pennsylvania, and came to western NC as a boy with his parents, John McClain and Elizabeth (McNoir?-sic), according to records of Albert S. McLean of Asheville, Vice-President and Historian of the Clan McLean Society of the USA.
While residing in Rutherford Co, NC, John McClain enlisted, sometime in 1775, and served as a Private and Sergeant under Captains James McFagin, Sides, Adam Hampton, Colonel Andrew Hampton’s NC regiment, and served in an expedition against the Cherokee Indians. He was elected in 1778 a Lieutenant in Capt Adam Hampton’s cavalry Co, Colonel Andrew Hampton’s regiment, and was in several skirmishes with the British and Tories, one being at Thicketty Fort, and was in the Siege of Ninety Six, and the Battle of King’s Mountain. He served as a Lieutenant about a year, and was elected Captain 12 March 1781, and served in Colonel Robert Porter’s NC regiment until discharged 27 May 1782.
McClain moved from Rutheford Co, NC to Pendleton District, SC, where he lived about twelve years, and then moved to Buncombe Co, NC, living there about twenty-two years, and then moved to Rabun Co, Georgia. He was allowed a pension on his application executed 7 July 1834, then a resident of Rabun Co, Georgia.
John McClain married 8 Jan 1784 in Pendleton District, SC, Mary McNair. She died 22 Feb 1841, and he died 8 July 1844, in Rabun Co, Georgia, survived by all eight of their known children. The children were as follows:
1. David MaClain, b. ca 1788 Pendleton Dist, SC, m. ca 1829 Henderson Co, NC, Elizabeth King, b. 1792.
2. John McClain, b. 18 Feb 1792 Pendleton Dist, SC, d. 31 Dec 1879; m. Polly Osgood Poor, b. 1799, d. 1881. Lived in Henderson Co, NC.
3. Charles McClain
4. Ephraim E. McClain, b. 1800, lived in Habersham Co, GA in 1853.
5. James N. McClain
6. Margaret McClain, m. _____ McClure, lived in Habersham Co, GA in 1853.
7. Jane McClain, m. _____ Porter, and had at least one son, Christopher C. Porter.
8. Anne McClain, b. 7 Aug 1794, d. 23 Dec 1864 or 1884; m. 20 Aug 1816, Alexander Mauldin, b. 25 Nov 1792 or 1794, d. 24 March 1868. Both lived in Habersham Co, GA in 1853. Alexander Mauldin was appointed the executor of Capt John McClain’s will in 1844 in Rabun Co, GA. The will provided that all property should be sold at a public auction and the money be divided equally among the children, named earlier. Alexander Mauldin bought 50 acres of land on Little Mud Creek, Rabun Co, GA on 2 Apr 1817 (Deed Book 11, p. 266), and on 19 March 1821, bought 100 acres on Rolins Camp Branch, Rabun Co, with witness, John McLain (Deed Book 13, p. 50). Then on 30 Jan 1828, he sold his land to David Rees, using attorney James N. McClain, as he was by then a resident of Habersham Co, GA (Deed Book 16, p. 43). Alexander Mauldin and his wife, Anne (McClain) Mauldin were buried in the Birch Cemetery, but the stones were moved to the Union Hill Cemetery in Towns Co, GA when a lake was built. Their son Oscar B. Mauldin is buried with them. There children were:
a. Hannah Mauldin, b. 1821, d. 13 Aug 1889; m. 2 March 1852, Martin Lovelady.
b. Alexander McClain Mauldin, b. 4 March 1825 Habersham Co, GA, d. 16 Apr 1898; m. 9 Nov 1852 Mary England, b. 25 Dec 1830 Hiawasse, Towns Co, GA, d. 10 Apr 1884 Hiawasse, Towns Co, GA, a daughter of Martin England and his wife, Elizabeth Carroll. They had ten children, the eldest being: (1) Claudius Rusk Mauldin, b. 30 Aug 1853 Clarksville, Habersham Co, GA, d.28 Dec 1912, Wheeler, TX; m. 1884 Ida Unavester Vandiver. These are the great-grandparents of Evelyn Morris Neill, the submitter of this family sketch.c. Oscar B. Mauldin, b. 31 March 1835, d. 27 Dec 1864. Buried with parents at Union Hill Cemetery, Towns Co, GA.
d. Corbon Mauldin
e. Teresa Mauldin
f. Amanda Mauldin
g. Mary Mauldin, m. William Crane. Much of the above sketch is based on the Revolutionary War pension application of Capt John McClain, file number S 31853, dated 7 July 1834. Mrs. Neill has more information on the Georgia Mauldin descendants available. Additions and corrections to this First Family Sketch should be addressed to Mrs. Neill at the address given above. She will be glad to correspond with anyone related to these families.
Source: ALOB, July 1981, Vol. II, #7, p. 81-79 & 80