| Ellis Edwards was born 11 Sept. 1779 in Virginia, and died 11 March 1862 in Haywood Co, NC. It is believed that Ellis was a brother to the Thomas Edwards, born ca 1774, Virginia, and married Mary Brittain, sister to Amelia Brittain, wife of Ellis Edwards. Ellis Edwards does not appear on deeds of Buncombe Co, yet he married there ca 1806 to Amelia Brittain, born 11 April 1785, died 2 April 1852, daughter of James Brittain, Sr. and wife Delilah Stringfield. Both Ellis and Amelia Edwards are buried in the Bethel Methodist Cemetery, Haywood Co. Amelia’s obituary appeared in an old Methodist newspaper, and this compiler has a copy of it.
There are many deeds recorded in Haywood Co. for Ellis Edwards. Some of them are between Thomas Edwards who married Mary Brittain; others are between other members of the Brittain family. Ellis Edward’s estate was administered by his son, Benjamin Martin Edwards, and recorded in Bk. U., page 365-371, Haywood Co, NC.
From Haywood Co. Court Minutes and Quarter Pleas Sessions, 1829 (from microfilm of the original): “State vs. Henley Edwards, Thomas Edwards, Jay Edwards, Phillip Edwards, Ellis Edwards, and Asaph Wilson came into court and acknowledged judgement against themselves for the fines and costs as to Thomas Edwards and Jay Edwards.
Ellis and Amelia (Brittain) Edwards were parents of the following children:
1. Joseph L. Edwards, b. 23, Feb 1807, Buncombe Co, NC; d. 14 July 1826; bur: Bethel Cemetery, Haywood Co, NC2. Thomas Stringfield Edwards, b. 26 Feb. 1809; d. 2 Sept. 1874; bur. Bethel Methodist Cemetery, Haywood Co, NC; m. Haywood Co, 23 Dec. 1832 to Harriett M. Coleman, b. 3 Feb. 1815; d. 15 May 1896; bur. Bethel Methodist Cemetery.
3. Delilah A.Edwards, b. ca 1811, Haywood Co, NC; probably d. Buncombe Co, NC. She married in Haywood Co. 17 Sept. 1840 to Rev. Andrew Pickins, as his second wife. Andrew Pickins married first to Catherine Weaver on Sept. 4, 1815. She was born 21 June 1796, and died in 1836. She is buried at Weaverville, NC. On the 1850 census of Buncombe Co, we find Rev. Andrew and Deliah (Edwards) Pickins on p. 217, #298; with two females in the household: Margaret S. Pickins, age 15, and Emily T. Pickins, age 5, both born in NC. It is not known if Deliah (Edwards) Pickins had children or not. Delilah married 2nd. in Buncombe Co, 1 January 1866 to a widower, Abner Jervice.
4. Phillip W. Edwards, b. ca 1813 in Haywood Co, NC. He married there 1 December 1834 to Elizabeth Truitt. We do not have the death date for Phillip, but he continues to appear on census and deeds in Haywood Co, NC, indicating that he spent his life in that county.
5. James S. Edwards, b. 11 August 1815, Haywood Co, NC; d. 14 January 1871 in Scott Co, Virginia. He was a Methodist Minister. He married Jane Hackney 23 July 1850. (Obituary appeared in Methodist paper.)
6. Mary M. Ann Edwards, b. 8 March 1818, Haywood Co; d. 31 January 1890; bur. in old Matt Cemetery on Jonathan’s Creek in Haywood County by side of her husband, David Howell and his first wife, Naomi Edwards. Mary Edwards married David Howell in Haywood Co. in 1853.
7. Benjamin Martin Edwards, b. 6 January 1821, Haywood Co; d. 22 Feb. 1898; bur. Bethel Methodist Cemetery, Haywood Co. He married in Haywood Co, 4 Sept. 1843 to Eliza Ratcliff, b. 27 Aug. 1825; d. 1 Sept. 1904; bur. Bethel Methodist Cemetery, Haywood Co, NC.
8. Elmira Edwards, b. ca 1825, Haywood Co, was single on the 1860 census and was a school teacher. No date of death.
–ALOB, September 1984, Vol. V, #9, p. 84-83 thru 85