William Brittain was born 6 August 1798 in Buncombe Co, NC, and died 27 May 1867. He was a son of James Brittain, Sr. and Delilah Stringfield of Buncombe Co. William married about 1819 in Buncombe Co. to Rachel Clayton, born 8 May 1799, and died 24 Oct. 1884, a daughter of Lambert Clayton and wife, Sarah Davidson. Both William and Rachel Brittain are buried in the Mills River Presbyterian Church Cemetery, Henderson Co, NC. William Brittain appears on many deeds, court minutes and civic records of both Buncombe and Henderson Counties. His estate record is on file in Henderson Co. in the Court Minutes and Quarter Pleas Sessions for the year 1867.
1. Leander Brittain, b. 6 Feb. 1820, Buncombe Co, d. 21 Dec. 1900, Henderson Co, NC; m. Nancy Elvira Carland (or Carlin), b. 22 Nov. 1826; d. 22 Aug 1890. Both Leander and Elvira are buried in the Mills River Presbyterian Cemetery, Henderson Co.
2. Sarah D. Brittain, b. ca 1821, Buncombe Co; d. Jan. 1913, Long Beach, Calif. She married ca 1843 to Alexander Hamilton Jones of Buncombe Co. Alex. H. Jones was born 21 July 1822, Buncombe Co; d. 29 Jan. 1901, Long Beach, CA.
3. Isabella Brittain, b. 25 Feb. 1823, Buncombe Co, NC; d. 25 Dec. 1895. She married before 1850 to George W. Howell, born 8 May 1818, and died 30 June 1894. Both are buried in the Warren Cemetery, Buncombe Co, NC. (For further data on this family, consult Dr. Kenneth D. Israel, 2332 Buttonwood Dr., Jacksonville, FL 32216, a descendant.)
4. Rebecca E. Brittain, b. 5 Nov. 1824, Buncombe Co, NC; d. 6 Feb. 1905; bur. Mills River Presbyterian Cemetery, Henderson Co. She married in Henderson Co. 15 Jan. 1857 to Hugh Johnson Greer, born 17 April 1820; d. 24 July 1902, Burke Co, NC.
5. Francis M. “Frank” Brittain, born Aug. 1827, Buncombe Co; d. 31 Jan. 1890, Henderson Co, NC. He married there 19 March 1874 to Rachel Bryson, b. ca 1829, NC; d. 5 March 1899, age 70 yrs, 6 days. Both are buried at the Mills River Presb. Cemetery, Henderson Co, NC.
6. Mary E. Brittain, b. 16 July 1828, Buncombe Co; d. 3 July 1921, Henderson Do. She is buried in the Mills River Presb. Cemetery. Mary Brittain did not marry until she was aged 45 years, then in Henderson Co, 19 March 1874 to Russell Jones, age 65 yrs. Mary did not have issue.
7. James Lambert Brittain, born ca 1829, Buncombe Co; d. 1897, Henderson Co, NC. He married (1) Minerva R. Posey in Henderson Co, 10 Aug 1859. Married (2) in Henderson Co. to Rebecca E. Posey on 26 May 1867. Minerva and Rebecca were daughters of Williamson and Elizabeth Posey of Henderson Co. James L. Brittain served in the C.S.A.
8. Martha Brittain, b. ca 1830, Buncombe Co; m. 5 Jan. 1855 to Robert H. Johnson in Henderson Co. On the 1860 census of Henderson Co. we find Martha Johnson and her two young daughters, Cleo and Rachel, living in the household with her brother Francis M. Brittain. Nothing is known of Robert H. Johnson. No record of Martha’s death date.
9. R. Attilla Brittain, b. 12 August 1837, Henderson Co, NC; d. 7 June 1910. She married in Henderson Co. 17 Jan. 1856 to William B. Moore, b. 17 March 1834; d. 9 November 1922. He was the son of John Covington Moore and his wife Mary “Polly” Bryson. Both Attilla and William B. Moore are buried in the Mills River Presb. Cemetery, Henderson Co.
10. Thomas Davidson Brittain, b. ca 1839, Henderson Co, NC; d. 3 March 1919; bur. Mill Pond Cemetery, Henderson Co, NC. He married in Buncombe Co, NC, 3 Feb. 1870 to Laura Jones, b. Feb 1847; d. 9 Jan 1929, Henderson Co. Laura (Jones) Brittain was a daughter of R.G. Jones and Ann Owensby of Buncombe Co, NC. Thomas Davidson Brittain served in the C.S.A.
–ALOB, October 1984, Vol. V, #10, p. 84-92