| Montgomery Bell was born in Burke (or Rowan) County on September 21, 1787, the son of Thomas and Jane Montgomery Bell. His mother died at his birth, and his father married, secondly, Sarah Eve of Wilkes County. In 1796 Thomas brought his family to Buncombe County. Here Montgomery spent his entire youth on the west side of the French Broad River. He met and married Comfort Brittain, daughter of James Brittain Jr. whose family came to Buncombe from Virginia. She was born April 24, 1796. The date of their marriage is unknown, but they moved to Habersham County, Georgia by 1830. What he did for a living while in Buncombe County is not known, but his main activities appear to have been buying and selling land in all the surrounding counties of North Carolina as well as Georgia and Tennessee.
Montgomery was a gentleman of virtue, faithful and just in his many land dealings with men, an indulgent husband, and an affectionate parent. His wife Comfort, was the sunshine of his life. She died on May 3, 1873, and is buried in Chamblee, Georgia, but his death date and place of burial are not known. They were the parents of eight children whose descendants live in Texas, Georgia, South Carolina and Tennessee:
1. Louisa Bell (1827-1880) married Judge H.H. Walker and had son William and daughter Victoria (1861-1866).
2. Susan Bell (d. 1896) born in Haywood Co, NC, and died in Bartow Co, Georgia, married Mr. Posey.
3. Carolina Bell (no further information).
4. Montgomery Bell Jr. (1832-1897).
5. Adaline Bell (no information).
6. Eliza Bell married Samuel G. Castleberry and had one daughter and six sons.
7. James Cicero Bell (1834-1908) married Mary Ann Ledford (1841-1935) who was a daughter of Buncombe County Ledfords. They had eleven children: All born in White County, Georgia. 1. Louisa Jane Bell
2. Marcilla Adaline Bell
3. Harriett Ellen Bell
4. Albert Allison Bell
5. William Rufus Bell
6. Mildred Caroline Bell
7. Thomas Boulden Bell
8. Birdie Brittain Bell
9. John Cicero Bell
10. Frank Montgomery Bell
11. Marion Claude Bell.8. William Brown Bell (June 28, 1838 – April 2, 1899) married Bashaba Katherine McAfee (1835-1903) dau. of Thomas V. and Eliza (Findley) McAfee in White Co., GA, in 1857. William was a traveling salesman and kept an accurate diary of his life. They had twelve [sic] children: 1. Marcus Bell (1859-1911)
2. Thomas Montgomery Bell (1861-1941)
3. Carrie Bell (1863-1922) (Mrs. Henry J. Jarrard)
4. Emma Bell (Mrs. Millard Hunt) b. 1864
5. Frank M. Bell (1868-1915)
6. William W. Bell (1867-1867)
7. Oliver Cicero Bell (1868-1947)
8. Mary Bell (Mrs. Alf Gilmer)
9. Augustus Bell , (b. 1872)
10. Kate Bell (1874-1960) Mrs. E.H. Kenimer
11. Lillie (Mrs. E.P. Weatherly) twin to Kate
12. P. Lester Bell (1877-1909)
13. Maud Bell m. 1st George Kytle, and 2nd, Edward Norton
–Old Buncombe County Heritage – NC,
article #229, p. 149